As part of my exploration of metalworking in general, I’ve been gearing up to pour aluminum. But of course I need something to pour it into. Sand casting is traditional, and I’ll get to that at some point, but first I’m exploring lost wax casting. I’m interested in being able to go from a 3D printed part to that same object in metal, and sand casting has some significant limitations as far as shape and detail (I think – I’m a n00b, correct me).
But really, whatever: I just feel like figuring out lost wax casting. 🙂
Anyway, I went down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to figure out if there’s an affordable, convenient alternative to two-part silicone. That stuff is great, but it doesn’t keep, and as a result is pretty expensive if you only use a bit from time to time.
So far I’ve had mostly a bunch of failures, but some of the avenues are promising. I thought I’d post a video about what I’ve learned so far. More to come!