It was my great pleasure to sit down with Carin Meier and have a conversation that – as usual – ranged across a wide variety of interesting topics. We talked a lot about Carin’s current professional interest in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, but we also took a swing through gardening along the way. I always have fun talking to Carin, and this time was no exception. I think you’ll enjoy it too!
Oh, and her advice is excellent – be sure to check that out at the end of the episode.
This episode is also available on YouTube. View it there for a transcript and subtitles.
Links and Notes
- The Cognicast, the podcast I started and which Carin also hosted
- “Our Shared Joy of Programmig”, the Strange Loop talk Carin gave wherein she had robots dance on stage, and for which I gave her a disco ball
- Bergisons G Seat, a motorized chair that gives a sensation of motion for flight simulation
- This video is a good overview if you prefer that format.
- Carin works at Reify Health, who are hiring!
- Terraform, a cloud ops tool
- GitHub Copilot, which uses AI techniques to write code
- OpenAI, an AI research and deployment company.
- GPT3, one of their projects, an autoregressive language model that uses deep learning to produce human-like text.
- Derivative works in software
- Vector Symbolic Architectures (VSAs) aka Hyperdimensional Computing
- Carin recommends this paper if you are interested in the topic
- Possumus Ergo Faciemus – “We Can, Therefore We Do”. My family’s somewhat tongue-in-check motto.