It was my great pleasure to sit down with Carin Meier and have a conversation that – as usual – ranged across a wide variety of interesting topics. We talked a lot about Carin’s current professional interest in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, but we also took a swing through gardening along the way. I always have fun talking to Carin, and this time was no exception. I think you’ll enjoy it too!
Oh, and her advice is excellent – be sure to check that out at the end of the episode.
Listen to the podcast on this page or download it here. Subscribe on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or via RSS.
This episode is also available on YouTube. View it there for a transcript and subtitles.
Links and Notes
- The Cognicast, the podcast I started and which Carin also hosted
- “Our Shared Joy of Programmig”, the Strange Loop talk Carin gave wherein she had robots dance on stage, and for which I gave her a disco ball
- Bergisons G Seat, a motorized chair that gives a sensation of motion for flight simulation
- This video is a good overview if you prefer that format.
- Carin works at Reify Health, who are hiring!
- Terraform, a cloud ops tool
- GitHub Copilot, which uses AI techniques to write code
- OpenAI, an AI research and deployment company.
- GPT3, one of their projects, an autoregressive language model that uses deep learning to produce human-like text.
- Derivative works in software
- Vector Symbolic Architectures (VSAs) aka Hyperdimensional Computing
- Carin recommends this paper if you are interested in the topic
- Possumus Ergo Faciemus – “We Can, Therefore We Do”. My family’s somewhat tongue-in-check motto.